Trips to far away destinations are increasingly popular and the lower costs plus faster transport, makes it feasible for the many. The variety of different adventurous type trips are also on the increase. This is all good news, however, with such diversity, the risk of travel to your health is increased and this makes the appointment with the nurse more complex. For example, we need to know about your travel itinerary and any significant aspects of your health in the past. These are typical questions we will be asking:
- When are you departing and how long for?
- Where are you going including the destinations within a country?
- Are you planning on undertaking any high risk activities?
- Have you taken out travel insurance and have you informed the company if you have any medical condition?
- If female and of child bearing age, is there any possibility you could be pregnant if we needed to give you any injections?
- Do you have any medical conditions – these can interfere for example with the type of malaria tablets that can be chosen if you were travelling to a country that has malaria?
We need to perform a risk assessment before deciding which vaccines are recommended and the advice that will best address your needs. For this reason the appointment could take 20 minutes or even a little longer. Within this surgery we plan to give you the necessary injections within the appointment time to save you having to come back. Modern vaccines are excellent today, so if you do feel nervous, please try not to worry - people are always surprised at how easy the injections are and unlike experiences remembered from the past!
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING TRAVEL ASSESSMENT FORM PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT AND BRING IT WITH YOU FOR THE NURSE TO CHECK
CLICK HERE FOR TRAVEL ASSESSMENT FORM
It would help us greatly if you had some awareness of the travel health problems that you may be of risk from on your trip before you come for your appointment. Before you attend for your appointment please go to the Fit For Travel web site and read the information for the country you are visiting.
We look forward to seeing you and helping you to travel safely.
BUT - please remember that we do not have last minute appointments. You should attend the surgery at least 8 weeks before departure. Why not even come to discuss your intended travel plans when you book your annual leave?
Made with Mobirise - See it