We advise and encourage that all children should be immunised according to the current national guidelines. This involves immunisations at ages 2, 3, and 4 months; age 12 months, age 13 months, age 4 years, and age 15 years. Full details of the current immunisation recommendations can be found here. From 27 April 2020 all preschool imunisations for patients registered with the Old Machar Practice (King Street and Jesmond Drive) will take place at the Healthy Hoose, The Hub, Manor Avenue. AB16 7UR.
Foreign Travel Services
Our practice nurses will be pleased to advise you on the injections needed for travel to any part of the world, along with other relevant information such as precautions to take about drinking water and similar matters. Please see our Travel Information Page for further details
NB. Not all vaccinations for foreign travel are covered under the NHS. Some vaccinations will attract a private fee.
Please remember if you book a late holiday it may be too short notice for the practice to provide you with a travel risk assessment appointment. If this is the case we would advise you to consult with one of the private health clinics who can offer an on-the-day service.
We offer shared care with the staff of Aberdeen Maternity Hospital. We have attached midwives and run regular antenatal clinics. If you are newly pregnant please contact the surgery to make an appointment directly with the midwife for a booking appointment. Please ensure you start taking Folic Acid (obtainable from your local pharmacist) as early as possible.
Various small operations conducted under local anaesthetic are undertaken at our Jesmond Drive premises. This service has proved to be beneficial to our patients as this removes the need to wait for a hospital appointment.
As part of our on-going screening processes, you may be invited to attend the surgery even if you are not ill. For example:
- Teenagers between 14 and 15 years are invited for a health check.
- Women aged 20-60 years are invited routinely for a cervical screening test every 3 years.
- Women aged 50-64 years are invited routinely for mammogram's every 3 years to the breast screening unit at Foresterhill.
- Patients aged over 75 years are offered assessments, either at home or in the surgery.
For more detail regarding National screening programmes please click here.
Most of the services provided within the practice are free under the National Health Service. However certain examinations/reports are not covered by the NHS. FEES ARE CHARGED FOR NON-NHS WORK.
Examples of Non-NHS work include:
- Examinations for special purposes e.g. to undertake certain sports.
- Completion of certain forms e.g. holiday cancellation forms, sickness insurance claim forms, private medical insurance claim forms, letters for university, medical certification during the first seven calendar days of any illness. - Certain travel vaccinations and anti-malarial tablets
Our current price list for these services can be obtained from Reception or from our Practice Administrator or by clicking here.
Why do GP’s sometimes charge fees? For more information please click here.
PLEASE NOTE: FROM MARCH 2014 THE PRACTICE WILL NO LONGER BE CARRYING OUT DVLA MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS.